Pages

11.24.2011

Selah

Could there be a word as beautiful as Selah for Thanksgiving? Is there anything that can capture our hearts quite like a stillness to measure the moment? The most significant part of this day is the pause.... the stillness ... to give thanks to my perfect Savior.
Yes, I have always heard Selah meant "to stop and think" and was in direct correlation to music. I like what I found this morning:

The first mention of “Selah” in the Bible is in 2 Kings 14:7
where King Joash conquered the city of Selah which was located in Edom. Most of its mentions are in the book of Psalms, with three also in the book of Habbakuk. “Selah,” [celah], is from the primary Hebrew root word “calah” which means “to hang,” and by implication to measure or weigh. In Biblical times, money, food, and other valuables were weighed by hanging them on scales. (Harvestime, 2011)

Enraptured by His great love for me, I measure my blessings and give thanks. Thankful for His favor, His plan, His ways and His strength.
And yet still, to pause for eye contact with the little ones. Tight hugs for family. Walks in the cold November air and naps cuddled up on the couch.

Today, like everyday, is a perfect, perfect day to remember that the lovely moments in life are captured by "weighing" them-- Measuring them and remembering their worth.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: