Pages

1.27.2011

An "Offense-Proofed" Life

(Psa 119:165 KJV) "Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them."

I am writing this blog for two reasons: Myself and you. Clarification only because some blogs are entirely for the reader and some blogs are entirely for the writer.
So, take this to heart if it applies to you, because it certainly applies to me.

We should have a different approach to offense than the world. The church should be more long-suffering, slower to anger and less likely to be upset by little things like traffic or their place in line. We shouldn't lay our brave shoulders down when we get a look or a comment that offends us. Really. That's the difference in us.

It is tiring to have a person in your life that is constantly offended, without cause! It is tiresome to qualify every statement or look because your worried that they will not be able to decipher its true meaning! And it must be completely tiring to worry about EVERY little thing that someone does! Did that mean something? Was there an indirect message in that? Did that look or comment or (God forbid) smile have a hidden meaning that I must read into?

I have found that often what someone else takes as offensive was not meant to BE offensive. And often what someone means as offensive, doesn't have to offend me!
I also know that almost every time I have offended, or been offended, it started out as unintentional. But somehow, someone (on either side) allowed themselves to get OFFENDED!
This is not an excuse to do what you want, hoping for no ramifications. But it is a call to let us become more like God intended....Without Offenses! I can choose today if I'm going to let a little nothing bother me. I have decided that it's simply not worth it! I pray I never offend someone, but if I do, I hope they are a big enough person to let it go. And I will do my part... in not allowing myself to become offended if something doesn't set well with me. Don't worry, some people will continue to be offended and have problems....and excuse them away. But, I don't have to. Thankfully!

Proverbs 17:1
Better is a dry morsel with quietness, Than a house full of feasting with strife.

There is something special about a long-suffering, sweet person that allows humans to be humans...without constantly being offended. I want to be like that. Don't you?

No comments: