Pages

5.07.2007

Current Mood: Annoyed

No one should complain or be negative for longer than 1.6 seconds. So, I will make this brief.
Will someone please explain to me why most of my single friends view singleness as a trial sent by God to plague them?!?
Grrrrrrr. This has been grating on me for a while and I just finally feel the need to (however indirectly) address it. While no one knows better than me the obvious benefits to matrimony, I find it poor logic to say my singleness is a trial. Whatever happened to the simple idea of "God's Perfect Timing"?
Maybe my estimation of the single life is a trifle different than the norm. I have found that I can posess all the emotions/wishes of the single, christian woman and still not demote myself to a secondary lifestyle while waiting for my mate to arrive. Of course someday I would love to be married. Maybe tomorrow if God deemed it right. But, I hardly think I can liken myself to Job and his suffering by the mere station of singleness.
Let's rule out the drama and save the term "trial" for the real stuff. Seriously, people, Do something with yourself!

Besides, the word single comes from the biblical greek word "Haplous", meaning whole. (Greek Lexicon)

Awesome, huh?

P.S. I hate drama.

4 comments:

chantell said...

Thank you. I stand up and aplaud you. By golly, do you mind if I link to this post from my blog?

brittanie said...

Go ahead=)

Kim said...

Gurl I've got my white hanking out and I'm shaking it in the air. If that ain't good preaching, I don't know what is!

Anonymous said...

An attempt to answer your original question. . . The reason your single friends see singleness as a plague is because that is more than likely how people who are not single see being single. If it's always in their face that something is wrong with being single, they'll probably begin to think that something is wrong with being single. You should continue encouraging your single friends. That's something they'll need to get out of this mode.

P.S. Another advantage of being single is that one has much more liberty to come, go, and do as they please.

And I promise I'll shut up soon, but the transition from being content with singleness and this seemingly overwhelming desire for a "companion" seems to hit people at different times. Sometimes, it's seeing close friends get married or having kids that causes one to leap into this I need a man or a woman mentality. It's like the mystery of maturity (or what each person believes is maturity). It hits people at different stages and some people never reach that point. I'm not saying that getting married is likened to some stage of maturity. I'm saying that it's according to a person's own beliefs that they can be secure about being single or married. A person can complete life single and still be the happiest person to have ever lived. Remember the words of Paul (1 Cor. 7).