Pages

10.29.2005

she will dance


I was five years old and at gramma's house . We put on our "jammies", as we call them and right before bed she would tell me about the music box that set on her dresser.
I only remember her big brother had brought it back to her from WWII in Japan. But it was special for a million different reasons. It was decorated with inlaid pearl and ornate carvings.
It had little drawers on the sides and a big compartment in the middle. That was my favorite part. The middle. The middle had velvet lining half and a mirror base on the other half. As I would open the lid, soft music would begin to play slowly. I would take the ballerina figurine with her magnet base, and quickly try to find the unseen floating magnet beneath the surface of the mirror. If I was quick enough I would get to watch her gracefully spin to the sound of the music box. The music only lasted a while though. See, this music box had been wound too tightly, too many times. It wouldn't wind anymore. It played only
when you opened the lid, and often that was only a few seconds. But when she danced, it was magical.
Sometimes she danced, sometimes I missed it.... but there was always next time. And maybe next time she would dance longer.


When I need solitude, I go to gramma's and watch the ballerina. She takes me back in time. When I watch her, im five years old , eye level with my gramma's dresser, anxiously waiting to see if she will spin for me.
I have no worries. She will dance tonight.

No comments: