Pages

10.11.2005

Phobias

I often give myself too much credit for living a life that is quote, unquote "healthy by American standards". I take my vitamins, drink water, exercise, eat the right amount of the proper foods, and try to stay in a healthy BMI range..... Sooo how is it that I have 5 doctor appointments scheduled in the next two and a half weeks, and all but two are entirely unrelated?
While not algophobic, I still get apprehensive about the slightest pain.
Doctor's appointments tend to make me nauseous.
Maybe its the smells, fear of catching a dread disease, the kids wailing, or just the fact I have self- diagnosed myself with the deadly flu that is supposedly going to wipe out America this winter. I guess all this is to say, I am one of the weirdos with a million unreal and unfounded phobias.

So its random fact time.
Did you know that up to 12.5 % of Americans have some type of a real, doctor diagnosed phobia? Here is a list of a few interesting ones.

Androphobia- fear or aversion to men
Anemophobia- fear of winds or drafts
Astrephobia- fear of thunderstorms
Autophobia- fear of being alone
Batophobia- fear of high objects(towers, mountains)
Caligynephobia- fear of beautiful women
Optophobia- fear of opening one's eyes
Demophobia-fear of crowds
Ergasiophobia- dislike of work, taking on responsibility
Gamophobia- fear of marriage
Necrophobia- fear of dead bodies.
Photophobia- fear of light
Scopophobia- fear of being observed
Sitophobia- fear of eating


If your bored go here....

http://www.phobialist.com.... its amazingly stupid.
While there obviously are very legitimate phobias..... I think most people need to just find something to occupy their time with.

No comments: